The Chidester Family

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Lesson Learned

We recently had our family photos taken in Murray Park. I was so excited to have the pictures done. I have had the kids outfits that they would wear for pictures picked out since before Sadie was born. During this photo session we were wanting a family photo, individual photos of each kid and of course all three kids together.

Small problem, we have a three year old that is all about wanting his way. I worried about outfits, location, time of day, etc. I never took into consideration of Carson's desire to not want to be photographed. Last time he was photographed professionally, he was probably 18 months old.

Upon arrival, we fought Carson tooth and nail to stay in one spot to have a picture taken. So by the time we got to having the three kids together, he was not interested. But I have had these outfits for months and I am paying a lot of money for these pictures. So in desperation to have him sit quiet, I handed him my wedding ring. Okay I know immediately some of the thoughts that might be going through your head. If you notice in this photo above Carson has the ring on his toe.

I was SOOOOO desperate and wanted this to work. Long story short, we return to the van about half an hour later and I realize I don't have my ring. Just some insight to how stressful family pictures are, I completely forgot about the ring during the rest of the photo shoot. So I scream, "My ring, my ring", Kerry takes off running to the spot we saw it last. I relocated the van to a closer parking spot and lock the kids in the car and join Kerry in the grass.

We our on our hands and knees combing the area looking for the ring. It is getting dark and Kerry isn't talking to me. I know this is serious, plus we were both saying prayers in our minds to help us. A family out on a bike ride have now joined us in the grass. I am trying not to cry in public. Some more time goes by, but finally Kerry finds it. What a relief, we thank the family and walk back to the van. Kerry isn't saying much and I am crying and apologizing. He is yet to give me the ring back. When we get to the car, I get a quick lecture and then receive my ring back. After a few more tears and hugs, we drive off home.

4 comments:

melissa said...

This is me again, commenting on every post.

My cousin lost her ring playing vollyball in the park. Her insurance for their home (and everything in it) actually covered the cost of a new ring. I tease Bart that this is how I will get an upgrade for my 10 year anniversary.

I have some toys you could borrow for the next photo shoot...ha ha!

the Chidesters said...

Sorry about the ordeal, but SO worth it! You got great pictures.

Erin said...

This is why I have yet to brave a family photo, I don't think the sweat pouring down my face would be a picture to remember!

Anonymous said...

Oh but what CUTE pictures!!!!!